The “clever and commercial” James Collins QC is "a great advocate and a great tactician" (Chambers Global 2013). He handles a wide range of commercial disputes in the High Court, appellate courts and in arbitrations in the U.K. and abroad, appearing as lead counsel, sole counsel and co-counsel and sitting as an arbitrator. Particular areas of expertise include finance, investment and shareholder disputes; energy sector disputes; insurance and reinsurance; international trade; shipping and shipbuilding. James has acted for and against some of the largest companies in these fields, as well as for a number of prominent high net worth individuals.
James advises and acts at all stages of the dispute resolution process, including:
- Strategy development: James has been described as a barrister who is “able to see through the complexities of law and evidence, and map a course to the objective” (Legal 500 2013).
- Pre-action and interlocutory applications, including applications for worldwide freezing orders and ancillary relief (eg. JSC Ukrsibbank v. Polyakov  EWHC 3877 (Comm)); anti-suit injunctions (eg. Vitol Bahrain v. Nasdec  EWHC 3359 (Comm); OT Africa Line v. Magic Sportswear & Others,  1 Lloyd’s Rep 252 and  2 Lloyd’s Rep 170 (C.A.)); injunctions to protect confidential information or restrain conflicts (eg. Prince Jefri Bolkiah v. KPMG (a firm)  2 A.C. 222); jurisdiction challenges (eg. Vitol Bahrain v. Nasdec  EWHC 984 (Comm)); applications to set aside default judgments (eg. Integral Petroleum SA v. SCU-Finanz AG  EWHC 702 (Comm)); and evidence applications (eg. non-party disclosure, witness summonses and depositions).
- Trials and final hearings in the UK and abroad (including Bermuda, New York, Paris and Singapore): James has been recognised as a “very high-quality advocate” (Chambers UK 2014).
- Appellate and review hearings, including appeals from and challenges to arbitral awards; appeals from first instance decisions (eg. Mid Essex NHS Trust v. Compass  EWCA Civ 200; Gulf Azov Shipping v. Chief Humphrey Idisi & Others  EWCA Civ 292 (C.A.); Gordon v. Gordon & Others,  EWCA Civ 1884); and appeals from the Court of Appeal (Prince Jefri Bolkiah v. KPMG (a firm)  2 A.C. 222).
- Enforcement of judgments (eg. Haji-Ioannou v. Frangos  1 All ER (Comm) 303) and awards (eg. Colliers International v. Colliers Jordan Lee  2 Lloyd’s Rep 368).
James has been described as an “excellent all-rounder for a variety of commercial matters" (Chambers Global 2013).